Refering to the last two posts Exporting 1 and Exporting 2 published into our blog and in regard to the hundreds of comments related to these topics received from the users and the followers of the Web site of I.C.I Group, this post is specially dedicated to any novice exporter who is seriously thinking about exporting in order to increase traffic to his business and to drive new sales in foreign markets.
So, how to pave the way for anyone who is interested in exporting? What advice can we give to him about a practical approach to exporting?
In first, it is of prime importance that an unexperienced exporter takes notice of the following facts:
- Most people looking for new markets abroad don’t know the rest of the world and other cultures and language than their own;
- Doing business in South Africa or in Morocco for example is much different from doing business in France or in Spain.
- Experience in international business shows that for small and midium businesses the export constitues a real profitable way to expand internationally.
In second and before taking any initiative in exporting, the novice exporter has to ask himself the right question: What does exporting expose me to? and to get clear in his mind that in export there are some important issues to be faced, such as:
- New challenges ( knowing other cultures, being able to converse in more one language, finding overseas partners, dealing with the complexities of exporting, other challenge…)
- New ideas;
- New management practices;
- New capacities to adapt product(s);
- New marketing techniques;
- New ways of competing;
For my part, I ‘m fully aware that is a problem to apprehend all these issues at once.But,I think that by understanding each issue and by determining how best to use it to reach his goals, the novice exporter will undoubtedly take a giant step in his practical approach to exporting and will be ready to export.